Potassium Sulphonated Asphalt is a modified potassium sulphonated asphaltic compound. It is a specially prepared potassium salt of sulfonated asphalt. In potassium environments, it is highly effective because it contributes water soluble potassium into the mud system. Its versatile mud conditioner contributes to the stability of drilling fluids, stabilizes shale, inhibits dispersion of drilled solids, reduces torque and drag, controls high temperature water loss and acts as an alternative to oil usage etc. This substituting of potassium ions is beneficial in those areas that requires specific action of potassium for inhibition of clay.
- a) Inhibits dispersion of drilled solids.
- b) Controls high temperature water loss.
- c) Its stabilizes shale formation.
- d) Reduces the down hole with temperature fluid
- e) loss and contributes to corrosion inhibition.
- f) Improves lubricity thereby reducing torque and drag